Submission Deadline: January 24, 2022 @ midnight
The Arcadia Streetbox project has been made possible through a partnership with the City of Arcadia. This project transforms 11 utility boxes into works of art.
- Mid-century Modern and/or Art Deco design elements consistent with the architecture and history of the Downtown Arcadia and Baldwin Avenue commercial districts
- Local history, culture, places, and character that are unique to or representative of the city.
- Words or text, if present, should be secondary to the overall visual design.
- Designs are encouraged to incorporate one or more colors from the City of Arcadia logo (displayed at right), including use of the green and/or blue from the city logo as one of the predominate colors.
- Artists who live in the city of Arcadia are encouraged to submit.
Artists are encouraged to create designs highlighting a modern, colorful aesthetic, diversity and unity.
Artist Compensation and Commitment
Chosen renderings/artists will be given a stipend of $750 USD to complete their works of public art and maintain the integrity of the work for a period of 2 years. Artists will be responsible for all of the necessary materials required for preparation, completion and maintenance of the artwork.
This project is open to all artists in the Greater Los Angeles area. Street Box encourages applications from both new and established artists as well as students.
-Artists may apply as an individuals or as a group.
-Group submissions may be for a single utility box or multiple utility boxes.
Selection Process & Criteria
Submissions will be reviewed by a selection committee consisting of Street Box curators, community members and City representatives. Once the artwork is selected, the committee will send a notification by email and formal letter and the artist(s) will be assigned the City utility box(es).
Criteria used to select artists will be:
-Evaluation of artistic excellence including quality of the art and artist originality;
-Creative and innovative concepts in relationship to the theme;
-Appropriate regard for the nature of the space and the audience.
Street Box Art is designed to encourage community pride and beautify the neighborhood. Street Box Art will be installed in a public place and must be suitable for viewing by all ages. If your designs is chosen, the artwork that is submitted in this application will be the artwork painted on the utility box. Designs may not change without a new rendering being submitted.
A Proposal will be ineligible, for any one or more of the following reasons:
-If is contains copyrighted or trademarked image or logo; a brand or business name;
-Is plagiarized, stolen, or copied from another source;
-Defames or invades the rights of any person, living or dead;
-Is likely to incite or produce an imminent lawless act;
-Is integral to criminal conduct or violates the law;
-Collage work requiring anything to be glued onto the box;
- May reasonably be construed as false or fraudulent; obscene matter, as defined in California Penal Code Section 311 or any successor legislation; harmful matter for minors, as defined in California Penal Code Section 313 or any successor legislation.
Deadline: January 24, 2022 @ midnight
Your application should be complete with the following. Incomplete applications will result in disqualification.
- Read the Terms & Conditions
- Download the design template
- Fill out the form
- Make sure your proposed design is in JPG format with YOUR NAME as the file name.
- Upload your proposed design
- Hit submit!